Sunday, July 28, 2013

SLC Mission

 After 9 weeks in the MTC, Elder Liljenquist was transferred to the Salt Lake City Mission while he waited for his visa for Mexico!
 Email from 2-25-13
Hey Everyone!!!
So I am in the Salt Lake mission, serving in the milcreek area. My area is really big! We have eveything in between 3900 South and 4500 South to 700 east all the way over to 700 west, and we are either walking or on bikes! haha!! I'm not so good on a bike anymore! It has been freezing the past couple of days! but I am loving it! We were white washed into the area so that means that they take out all of the missionaries that were in the area and put in brand new ones and Our area book was not kept up so we basically have to start over! But it has been really good! This area has huge potential! Everybody is really receptive! We are just having a hard time getting into the peoples houses! Our ward has helped us out a lot! The people are really nice here! haha they love it when I try and speak spanish! They will usually listen to me struggle and then correct my whole sentence! haha. I got to go to the Salt Lake temple today. It was amazing. That's the temple that my family was sealed at. I was little and didn't really remember how pretty it was. But my comp is Elder Espinal. He is from Honduras!  He is a pretty cool kid! He talks a lot about racing cars and how tough he is. haha. He has taught me a lot though. I'm loving my mission and am so grateful for every single day that I am here. I was pretty bummed that I wasn't going right to Mexico at first but now I am really happy to be here. I know Heavenly Father has a plan for me.  I love you all and I talk to you next week!
 
Elder Liljenquist

E-mail from 3-4-13
Hey Guys!
Wow what a crazy week! It has gone by so fast! So We have five people on date to get babtized this month!! It has been a unreal week! There is so much potential in this area, and to think that its on our back yard! So on Monday, this past week we knocked on this door in a pretty low, low class apartment complex, We have been talking to this family. Their last name is the Morrgia family. Its just the Mom, a daughter that is 21, a daughter that is 18 and a 2 year old. The guy that was supporting them left them. He took everything from the apartment. He only left them with their clothes and some cereal. They have no furniture, no beds and no food. The mom is sick with HIV and the little girl has a terrible fever at times. They cant find jobs anywhere because they dont have papers to work. It turns out that they all are members, but the daughter that is 21, her name is Angleica is not. We set up a baptism for her this Saturday. So on friday this past week, we called the bishop and he came over with us and gave them a pass to the Bishops store house, and the church is going to be able to cover their rent for the next 6 months! It was amazing! They were so happy! I was so glad that we knocked on their door that day! There has been a lot of problems with drugs and things inside the house. Im glad we were able to show them the right way to do things. We have also been meeting with a Guy named Neilson, he is like 32 years old and is from Mexico. He lives here with his mom and his daughter. They are members but he isn't. They are so nice! and so funny haha. We go over there every other night and teach them and the Mom will always cook us something to eat! I love it! But he is a really cool guy. He loves his family a lot, he is also on date for this month as well. There have been some funny times this past week. So if you know what a Jehova witness is -haha thats why. There are quite a few in this area. haha we get into some pretty heated arguments with them! They dont budge on anything! I never knew that they had their own bible that was written. haha. Some of the stuff that is in there is ridiculous! Our area is doing really well. I am having a really good time here. One of our other companions that was waiting for his visa left this morning. They didn't even warn him. They just called and said your going to mexico this afternoon. Pack as fast as you can and get to the office. So, I hoping that sometime this week I'll go pick up my visa from the Consulat. Everything is going really good though. There is a lot of english but there is also a lot of spanish, so it evens out. I have seen this gospel change lives. I know that it is true, and Ive only been here 2 weeks. I am so grateful for it and for all of you! I love you all soo much!

Elder Liljenquist

Elder Liljenquist's first baptism:)

No comments:

Post a Comment